In 2006, Serenity Lane developed a Chronic Pain Management Program using Dr. Stephen F Grinstead’s Addiction-Free Pain Management® Treatment System to offer education, guidance, and support for individuals suffering from addiction and chronic pain.
Often times, patients report that they have “succumbed” to their pain; so an individual will develop his/her own medication management plan. Their “new plan” includes supplementing medications with additional substances; including alcohol, benzodiazepines, marijuana, additional opiates, etc., all of which lead to inappropriate use of pain medications, poor pain management, and fuel the addiction process.
Patients participating in our pain management program will meet with a Serenity Lane physician who will review patient’s use history (alcohol, prescription, over-the-counter drugs, street drugs) and meet with the patient to individualize pharmaceutical management of chronic pain.
Our goal for each patient is to have quality recovery, improved functioning and effective pain management.
ADDITIONAL SERVICES FOR PATIENTS PARTICIPATING IN THE CHRONIC PAIN PROGRAM INCLUDE:
- Both individual and group counseling with a Certified Addiction-Free Pain Management Specialist (CAPMS)
- Pain Assessment
- Educational literature
- Consultation with the staff physician/addictionologist
- Daily medication review, which includes medication management
- Additional nursing care
NON-PHARMACOLOGICAL INTERVENTION STRATEGIES:
- Ai-Chi-Guided meditation and movement practice which occurs in a 92 degree pool. (Ai-Chi improves circulation, flexibility, focus, joint mobility and decreases pain)
- On site acupuncture
- Relaxation/Meditation classes
- Grief & Loss presentation and counseling
- Access to trauma counseling (individual and group)
- Morning and afternoon walks
- Transition planning when the patient completes residential care
- Consultation after treatment (emergency and post surgery medication management assistance)
READ MORE ABOUT: Opiate Withdrawal with Buprenorphine »
FOR MORE INFORMATION on Serenity Lane’s chemical dependency treatment for the chronic pain patient please contact us:
Stephen “Rip” Sawyer – CADC II, CAPMS
Treatment Center for Alcohol & Other Drug Dependencies
(541) 687-1110 or 1-800-543-9905