You have made a very important decision to come to Serenity Lane. In order to enable you to come prepared and know what to expect, Serenity Lane has compiled the following NEW PATIENT INFO to help you plan for your stay.
Patient Rights and Confidentiality
Serenity Lane treats patients, family member and staff with respect and provides a safe and supportive environment for your treatment. Patient rights and responsibility are outlined in the handouts you receive during your initial meeting with staff in Eugene.
Serenity Lane is committed to respecting patient confidentiality as mandated by state and federal laws. Serenity Lane upholds these standards in all communications and records.
Medical Observation and Assessment
Your initial assessment and evaluation will take place in our Hospital Unit (detox). You will remain in Detox until you are medically cleared (a minimum of one day). Serenity Lane physicians will coordinate care with your Primary Care Physician and other involved caregivers.
- Bring a 30-day supply of only the medications you are currently taking in their original, labeled prescription bottle. Medical staff will manage your medication(s) throughout your stay.
- Do not bring over-the counter items like Tylenol, Ibuprofen, antacids or Imodium as they are available to you upon request.
- You may bring multivitamins and no more than two herbal or nutritional supplements, however protein powder or creatine is not allowed. All supplements must be unopened and sealed. Open containers will be confiscated.
- You must have a credit card or debit card available upon admission to pay for medication refills, prescription co-pays or any new medications that may be ordered by the physician.
- If your insurance provider issues separate cards for medical benefits and prescription benefits please bring both cards with you at the time of admission.
- If you are taking Subutex, Suboxone or Buprenorphine at home do not bring your prescription with you. If these medications are prescribed for you while in treatment, DEA regulations require these medications be ordered by Serenity Lane’s treating physicians.
We ask that you bring only one (1) suitcase and one (1) carry-on. Storage space is very limited. Excess and/or inappropriate clothing will be sent to off-site storage or returned to your family.
- Since you will be spending at least 24-hours in the Hospital Unit (detox), be aware that you will wear hospital scrubs while in the unit.
- Regular dress at Serenity Lane is casual.
- Dress must be appropriate, i.e., clothing that depicts alcohol, drugs, sex, violence, gambling, or any clothing deemed inappropriate by staff is not allowed.
- Laundry facilities, including supplies are available for patient use. Irons and ironing boards are also accessible. Dry cleaning services are not available so machine wash clothing is recommended.
- Appropriate attire includes jeans (without tears or holes), casual slacks, sport shirts, skirts and dresses, jogging suits and Bermuda/walking length shorts.
- Form-fitting clothing such as Lycra tights or biking/running shorts, low-cut tops, bare midriffs and low-cut pants/skirts are not allowed.
- Hats, caps, and sunglasses are not acceptable for wear within the facility.
- Bring appropriate sleepwear, bathrobe and slippers.
- Bring your own pillow. (One will be provided if you do not have one you wish to bring.)
- Bring a jacket, sweatshirt, and/or sweater, raingear and umbrella depending on the time of year you attend.
PLEASE NOTE THAT DETERMINATION OF INAPPROPRIATE ATTIRE WILL BE AT STAFF’S DISCRETION AND IS NOT NEGOTIABLE. EXCESS AND/OR INAPPROPRIATE CLOTHING WILL BE SENT TO AN OFF-SITE STORAGE OR RETURNED TO YOUR FAMILY.
Other Items to Bring
- Insurance card.
- If you have an existing Advance Directive or healthcare Power of Attorney, bring it with you.
- Toiletries including hair dryers, curling irons and electric razors. All electrical items will be checked for safety.
- Workout clothes.
- An alarm clock that is not part of a radio or CD player.
- Daily exercise is recommended. Bring comfortable shoes to exercise in.
- Exercise/meditation mat
No smoking is allowed inside any buildings at Serenity Lane. When you come for treatment we encourage you to stop smoking and offer smoking cessation medication, nicotine patches, etc, in order to assist the process. Please note: we do not allow e-cigarettes or vaping. You may bring your own nicotine replacement products such as nicotine patches, gum or lozenges. For those patients who continue to smoke tobacco, arrangements have been made as follows. Detox patients who are ambulatory are escorted by a staff member four times a day to a designated smoking area. Once you have transferred to Residential Treatment, smoking is allowed only in designated areas outside.
Items to Leave at Home
When you arrive at the Hospital Unit (detox), your belongings will be examined. Certain items are not allowed at Serenity Lane. If you bring an unacceptable item, it will be removed at staff discretion and is not negotiable.
PLEASE DO NOT BRING THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- Radios, tape recorders/CD players, tapes, TV, cell phones, laptops, audio/video equipment, or any personal electronic equipment including iPods.
- Cameras in any form.
- Exercise equipment, craft materials, musical instruments, knitting needles, crochet hooks or irons. (Irons and ironing boards are provided on site.)
- Food/Snacks including gum, mints, candy, soft drinks, or bottled water.
- Mouthwash containing alcohol (for example, Listerine).
- Non-treatment reading material. Treatment and spirituality related books will be reviewed for appropriateness. Unauthorized reading materials will be returned to family.
- Aerosol products, including deodorant and hairspray.
- Novels, magazines and newspapers.
- Straight razors, razor-blades.
- Pocket knives, nail files or any other sharp tool or instrument.
- Hair dye, nail polish and nail polish remover.
- Perfume and/or heavily scented lotions.
- Illegal substances or mood-altering drugs.
- Tobacco in opened packs or cans.
- Excessive or expensive jewelry.
- Large amounts of cash.
- No products allowed with alcohol listed as an ingredient. Such products will be confiscated and returned when discharged.